The Borough of Quakertown Police Department is proud to recognize its employees and civilians who have gone above and beyond their duties in serving our community.
The following is a list of commendations that are awarded to officers:
AWARDS AND CRITERIA:
1. Commendation of Valor - (Red and Blue Bar and Medal) - Awarded to an officer who performs a courageous act above and beyond the call of duty. The officer's actions shall be sound and appropriate. The actions taken must have exposed or reasonably exposed the officer to danger, death or serious injury.
2. Purple Heart - (Purple Bar and Medal) - Awarded to any employee killed or seriously injured in the line of duty specifically while in the performance of a police related function.
3. Life Saving – (Blue and White Bar with Red Cross) – Awarded to any employee for the saving of a human life without reckless or unreasonable risk taken by the employee
4. Outstanding Service - (French Blue Bar with White Stripes) - Awarded to the officer who provides intelligent and valuable police service, demonstrates superior vigilance or facilitates through brilliant execution of police skills any noteworthy accomplishment, particularly an outstanding arrest.
5. Officer of the Year – (Blue and White Bar with Star and Name on the Departmental Plaque) – Awarded to the sworn departmental employee who demonstrates dedication, loyalty, vigilance, teamwork and excels in overall job performance throughout the year.
6. Officer of the Quarter – (Letter of Recognition and Name on the Departmental Plaque) – Awarded to sworn departmental employee who demonstrates dedication, loyalty, vigilance, teamwork and excels in overall job performance throughout the quarter. Note: One sworn employee will receive this award each quarter beginning with January and through the end of March.
7. Outside Agency Recognition – (Blue and Grey Bar) – Awarded to any officer who is recognized by any outside agency for outstanding service to the community or for outstanding service to another agency.
8. Meritorious Contribution - (Red and White Bar with Blue Stripes) - Awarded to the officer who performs an exemplary task or police service above what is normally expected in the line of duty.
9. Perfect Attendance - (Letter of Recognition) - Awarded to the employee who does not utilize sick time for the calendar year. Employees injured on duty as a result of their police duties will continue to be eligible for this award.
10. Physical Fitness Award – (Red Bar with Blue Stripes) – Awarded to officers who perform and pass elements of the United States Marshall Services Physical Fitness Program given yearly by the Department.
11. Honorable Service Award – (Letter of Recognition, Bar for twenty (20) years of service) – Awarded to officers and civilian employees who have achieved a five year increment of service with no significant disciplinary actions on their record. A certificate shall be presented for each five year increment. A certificate and bar shall be presented to officers with twenty (20) years of consecutive service.
12. Educational Achievement Award – (Blue and White Bar with Olive Branch) – Awarded to officers who have achieved a substantial milestone in their education. It will be awarded to recipients of Associates, Bachelors or Masters Degrees.
13. Department Commendation - Awarded to officers who have carried out an assignment or conducted themselves in a manner which displayed superior knowledge and ability. This award is designed to recognize officers who through a specific incident have demonstrated their skill and dedication as a police officer.
14. Honorable Discharge Award - (Mounted and Framed Letter of Recognition and Medal) - Awarded to officers upon retirement and/or new employment opportunities who have served a minimum of ten (10) continuous years of service, and have served the community in an honorable fashion. In the event that an officer leaves employment due to an injury sustained while on duty, prior to the minimum service requirement, he is eligible for this award.
15. Civilian Employee of the Year – (Letter of Recognition, Pin and Name on Departmental Plaque) – Awarded to the civilian employee who demonstrates dedication, loyalty, vigilance, teamwork and excels in their overall job performance throughout the year.
16. Citizen's Recognition - (Letter of Recognition) - An award presented by the Chief of Police and/or Borough Manager to any citizen who performs any outstanding or noteworthy contribution to the Police Department or to our community.
Multiple Recognition - Subsequent recognition of any award that is represented by a "bar" will receive a star. If the officer receives more than three stars on anyone bar, an additional bar will be awarded. All awards will be presented at a public meeting, preferably a Borough council meeting.